- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package instant yeast
- 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 cups Blue Diamond Original Unsweetened Almond Breeze (divided)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons stoneground mustard (divided)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 1/2 to 3/4 cups flour plus extra for kneading
- Freshly ground coarse sea salt for topping
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 cups shredded sharp or extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Place water in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle sugar and yeast over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes or until yeast starts to foam.
- Add 3/4 cup of the Almond Breeze, 1 tablespoon of the mustard and 1 teaspoon sea salt, then using a dough hook, slowly beat in just enough flour to make a smooth dough. Transfer to a lightly floured board and until knead several times or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a cloth; let rise in a warm spot for 45 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each into a 16-inch long piece and twist into a pretzel shape; let rise for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Grease a large baking sheet and sprinkle with a few grinds of salt. Bring a large wide pot of water to a boil with baking soda. Drop pretzels 2 or 3 at a time into boiling water cooking for 1 minute on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with additional salt and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until pretzels are golden brown.
- While pretzels bake, make Mustard Cheddar Dipping Sauce. Toss cheese with cornstarch in a medium bowl. Combine the remaining 1 1/2 cups of the Almond Breeze, 2 teaspoons stoneground mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, and white pepper in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add cheese a handful at a time, adding more once cheese is fully melted. Cook over low heat and whisk until smooth. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Serve pretzels warm with sauce.